Stony Brook is a beautiful, welcoming, diverse, family-oriented community with a top-ranked school district, a beautiful village center, low crime rate and a world-class university within commuting distance of New York City.
Stony Brook Concerned Homeowners, Ltd. is a Nonprofit Community Organization formed on a cold winter weekend in March 2013 by concerned local residents, Bruce Sander and Anthony DeRosa, who grew frustrated with unscrupulous landlords in their neighborhood illegally renting homes to unsuspecting Stony Brook University students.
Bruce and Tony quickly and successfully mobilized the community to ensure that the character of their beautiful neighborhood would not change. Together, with the help of other homeowners, they took a stand to fix this problem and preserve the sanctity of our single family neighborhood. In its first six months, the number of accomplishments has been nothing short of breathtaking. With 900+ members, and growing everyday, what started as an informal group was incorporated in September 2013 with the following goals:
- Maintain the beauty and quality of life of the Stony Brook community and surrounding areas.
- Protect our property values.
- Eliminate dangerous and illegal boarding houses in the Stony Brook community and surrounding areas.
- Eliminate the exploitation of off-campus university students by unscrupulous and unethical landlords.
- Increase Town of Brookhaven enforcement of existing housing & rental laws while introducing new, tougher laws.
- Improve dialog between Stony Brook University and the surrounding community.
- Work with and monitor Stony Brook University’s efforts in securing off- campus housing for those students not wishing to live on campus.
- Work with real estate agents to encourage the purchase of new homes by individuals that will be living as a family and inform potential absentee landlords of the new town codes as it pertains to house rentals.
If you believe in the importance and value of these goals, we invite you to join us.